Whaz Up?

You Tell Me

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Published....

Were we really safe?

TO THE EDITOR: Friday morning I was a chaperone for my daughter’s kindergarten class for their trip to see the Cinderella play at MLC in New Ulm. We arrived on campus about 8:45 a.m., enjoyed a great play and left about 10:30 a.m. As we drove down Center Street hill, we noticed that Summit Ave. was closed off. I saw law enforcement, fire department, and an ambulance there. Had no idea what was going on but assumed it to be an accident or something.

Boy was I surprised to read the headline in The Journal on Saturday morning stating there were PIPE BOMBS found on the campus at MLC.

Quoted from The Journal from Ted Olsen: “We’re very much concerned about the safety of our students. Under the circumstances, putting them on the opposite end of the campus, we felt they were entirely safe.”

My question, is were we REALLY safe on campus? WHY were we allowed ON campus after a bomb was found? A bomb was found. How many others could have been hidden anywhere on campus. Even in the auditorium where the play was. Why were the parents and teachers not told that an actual bomb was found. Shouldn’t the parents and teachers have been told, since the children were in their care? Usually when there is a bomb threat (which I realize no threat was made, but still a bomb was found) an EVACUATION occurs, you don’t allow people to come onto the grounds, which is what MLC did.

The Journal stated that police arrived to investigate at about 8 a.m. and 15 minutes later the bomb squad from Bloomington was called. So I’m gonna guess the bomb squad got there an hour later? We arrived at 8:45, WHY were we allowed on campus where there was a pipe bomb found is what I want to know. As stated, there were HUNDREDS of elementary school aged children on the campus.

It was stated the campus was given the all clear at 3 p.m. THAT is when people should have been allowed on campus, not before that. I think that MLC dropped the ball with their handling or non-handling of the situation. Perhaps a review of the emergency action plan is needed. I feel let down that I was not told that my children were possibly in danger or at least have been told what was going on where I could of made a decision myself to stay there or leave the campus. Better communication to all parties involved needs to be a top priority in these type of situations. Thank God that the situation was defused before the bombs and guns were used.

We pray that the student gets the help he needs.

LISA FISCHER

Courtland

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home