Whaz Up?

You Tell Me

Saturday, January 08, 2005

The P A I N !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the doctor yesterday & was told I have DeQuervain's Disease. Yes, that is what it is & it's bad. I'm not dying, but in a TON of unbearable pain. It started Monday night, got worse Wednesday, tried to get a doctor appointment Thursday, couldn't get in until late afternoon (Phil was working so I wasn't going to take the kids with). Was able to see Dr Friday.

Click HERE to read what DeQuervain's Disease is. Doctor gave me a brace to wear & that came off as soon as I got to the van. It was too painful to wear. He also gave me a prescription for some Tylenol w/ codiene. As soon as I got home, I took 3 Ibuprofen & 2 Tylenol's (was only suppose to take at night, but again, the pain was unbearable). Meds kicked in about an hour later & I was able to put the brace back on. I am suppose to take these meds for 2 weeks, limit the use of my right hand/wrist (which the doctor said I could laugh at that one.......with taking care of the kids & all) and wear the brace. I get about an hour of relief after taking the Tylenol. Ibuprofen doesn't seem to be working all that much. He was going to prescribe Naproxen for the pain, but since I'm nursing he didn't think that would be good for Zander. He said it would make him more sleepy. I argued, "and what's wrong with that?"

So if things aren't improved in TWO weeks (No way can I wait that long with this much pain!) then I should come back for a steriod injection. I really should have pushed for the injection yesterday.

I was also told that this happens to many women postpartum. The doctor did mention/ask how I carry Zander. And with him being 23+ pounds & all, it wouldn't surprise me if strain has been put on it that way as well.

He didn't mention surgery like the linked article above said. Let's hope it doesn't go that far.

I guess I will have to lay off the gardening from now on.

In case you are wondering how I typed this.......I am on my one hour relief period after the drugs. Drugs are good people.


******EDITED to add.........It's Wednesday & I am starting to feel better!! I can not believe how PAINFUL an inflammed tendon can be!! Oh My!!! I hope it never happens again! I'm still taking ibuprofen & the pain meds to help with the swelling, but thankfully, the pain is almost gone & I can function pretty much again. Some movement of the hand still hurts, but nothing like it was on Friday! Thanks for your well wishes & prayers!

2 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Oh Lis - (((HUGS)))!!!!! It sounds horrible!! I hope you are getting some help from the meds and seeing some relief! :-( Hang in there! Keep us posted.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never even heard of it before. It sounds terrible!! I hope you are better by now.... Marcie

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home